Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What will you build with?

This morning my son and I were discussing 2 Timothy 2:19-21

19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.


I explained to him that although all born again believers (repented for your sins and were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ accepting Him as Lord of your life, once you've come to an age where you can truly make that decision ~8-12 yrs, maybe?) build their lives upon the same solid foundation, the rock of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, we don't all use the same materials to build our houses with.  I told him that when we work for money to have nice things and a more comfortable life (e.g. having a DS in his case, lol), that is building our house with wood.  I also told him that when we work for money so that we can bless God's kingdom ad enjoy some of the blessings he gives us from that prosperity, that's building with gold.  Only God is able to tell us which we're doing as many Christians debate and argue what that means.  There's many other examples not using money, but for my son, that one works best, lol.


In my opinion, most of us are born into this world with parents who love us and want what's best for us, we are immersed into our culture of what the world says looks good, sounds like, makes sense, and so on.  Some of us are even told that Jesus died for our sins because He loved us and that we can always count on God, but very few of us are actually taught that.  We've been under the impression that our faith is developed at church and if we regularly go, we're good with the big Eye in the sky.  As we grow older, we develop our own ideas of who God is, what He will and will not do, and if we believe in scripture, we twist that to accommodate the lifestyle we keep.  Wow, that was a tangent.  Sorry, back to my son and I talking about the Lord and what we build our houses with...


I asked him to ask God where we should start, and He did and opened his bible to 2 Chronicles 26 and I said "no honey, ask Him again" because I didn't think God would have him in the Old Testament (HA! to me) and he resisted and said "no mom, look this is exactly what we were talking about" and there was a picture of building the temple with gold and wood.  He was really excited that happened (even though I wasn't convinced yet that it was God b/c it wasn't the same thing I was talking about, just the same materials), but then we read the passage and it was talking about a young man who was given success in life (both in the natural world and the spiritual) b/c he continually sought guidance from the Lord, just as his father had taught him to do. And that I knew was a confirmation of what we had just been talking about with the Timothy scripture because it illustrated to me that children will follow after what their parents have taught them. So cool!!!!  It also reaffirmed to me that it is my job to teach my children about the Lord and all of His multi-dimensional qualities.  That is it my job to train my children up in the way they should go and they will not depart from it.  God has told me in a general sense what my older two children's purpose is here on earth, and I get the privilege of raising them up knowing how they will be utilized.  It also helps me to see where their weakness may lie, and to allow the Lord to give me divine wisdom on how to combat them.


Recently I had something arise with my one my lil' ones that had me angry with God.  I asked Him WHY he didn't let me know there was a problem sooner than He did.  I never really got anything from Him other than the scriptures I shared in a previous blog about Him revealing the hidden things and that the voice I was hearing was His.  I was speaking with my Aunt the other day, and was telling her about my heartache and told her my biggest issue was that God didn't choose to reveal to me earlier than He did what was going on, and her response totally caught me off guard, and at the time pissed me off.  She told me that He had shown me signs I chose to ignore them, and that this was the time that I was supposed to have figured it out for reasons that I am not to currently know, nor may never know.  Since I was irritated at her for saying it, I ruminated on it for awhile (totally a Godly thing to do, NOT!) and God showed me that she was right.  That revelation was not easy to swallow, but I knew it to be true, and I did trust that God knew what He was doing.  He had to because I sure the heck hadn't even the slightest clue!  


I hope that God continues to reveal to me all the areas where I'm building my house with materials that His Holy Fire will consume when the day comes, and to allow me the opportunity to build with gold, silver, and precious stones so that when the heat increases in my life, those materials will only purify, and will never disintegrate into dust.


Here's a brief representation of what happens when we build our house with straw, wood, and bricks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment